Hidden In Plain Sight

Hidden In Plain Sight

Sunday, October 16, 2016

A Strange Request, A Stranger Reply

Le Marabout Errant: Tell me about God. Dervish Baba: Tell you about God? That is a strange request. LME: I just want to know what you believe. DB: Why? LME: Because I find you interesting and want to know more about you. DB: I see. Obviously, you're not interested in God; you're interested in me. LME: Well, I'm interested... DB: I don't wish to be rude, but this line of inquiry bores me. Let's talk about something that might prove beneficial to both of us. LME: Alright. DB: There was a Sage by the name of Muzaffar al-Qaramasi--you'll find him mentioned in the Risalah of al-Qushayri. He said something that I have pondered now for many years. Perhaps we can think about it together. LME: OK. DB: He said, "The Faqir"--meaning, "the poor," as in the Beatitudes (Matthew 5:3)--"the Faqir is the one for whom there is no need of God Most High." LME: Ah... DB: A strange thing to say, don't you think? LME: Yes. DB: At least on the surface. What can it mean? LME: On the surface, it would seem to mean that the poor--or "poor in spirit" if we accept the allusion to Matthew 5:3--have no need of God. DB: Indeed. And if we accept the allusion to Matthew 5:3, we should finish the line. LME: "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven." DB: Yes! LME: I'm confused. DB: Think on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment