Hidden In Plain Sight

Hidden In Plain Sight

Saturday, December 10, 2016

Like The Prophet, I Am Neither...Nor...

Le Marabout Errant: Do you follow a madhhab, Dervish Baba? Dervish Baba: Like the Prophet, I am neither Sunni nor Shi'a; like the Prophet, I follow Abraham, the Hanif. LME: I'm not sure I understand... DB: It's really quite simple. You see, the madhhahib are all part of the history of Sunnism and Shi'ism, which is to say, the history of Islamic sectarianism. But none of that history is my history; none of that history belongs to me. I have deep affinities with the history and traditions of Islam (i.e., Sunnism and Shi'ism), but I am myself ghayr muqalid; not a blind follower. Emphatically not. I am not a practitioner of taqlid, thanks be to god. I am religiously unaffiliated beyond millati Ibrahim.

No comments:

Post a Comment